There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be.
- George Sheehan

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Running Impact Research Presentation by Dr. Irene Davis - PLEASE WATCH! :)

 Fascinating stuff!!  This is a four part video series on YouTube of a presentation by Dr. Irene Davis, Harvard Medical Center, and her research on impact forces in running.  She presents awesome data that really adds some hard evidence to the ongoing debate of barefoot or minimalist footwear vs. traditional running shoes.

 I'm loving this information.  I wish I had seen this when I first started running.  I know I said to watch the other video in my last post, but if you're limited on time, check these out please!  This is the definitive scientific presentation that I've seen thus far.  Brava, Dr. Davis.

Video one: heel striking, midfoot striking, forefoot striking, tibial g-forces, stride turnover and injury rate, shoes and their tendencies to increase pronation, etc. 
Video 2: Cushioning in shoes and the related stiffness in joints, landing impacts based on hardness of surface, price of shoes/ related injury rates, plantar faciitis and foot strength, why do podiatrists treat the feet the way they do?
Video 3: How humans are structured to run, running injury distribution and rates, case studies, "If we were meant to run, why do we get injured doing it?"

Video 4: Question/Answer

She also reiterates the need for people to educate themselves and take it slow when going barefoot or minimalist.  Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment